Friday, March 2, 2007

Visit home....

Well I'm officially home and recovering.

The wake was on Thursday, lots of people came and it was great to see so many we haven't seen in years. My grandpa looked really handsome and lots of people sent flowers. Isabella broke down a lot. I felt just awful for her, it was great to see how much she loved my grandpa though and that she'll remember him. She went up to the casket and hugged him so hard. Dominic kept telling him to get up - "Gampa up" "Gampa". Isabella said how much she loved him and missed him. It was wrenching. I did ok... I broke down a couple times but luckily had plenty of arms to wrap around me. I went out with my cousins for dinner and drinks after the wake which was nice.

On Friday we had the funeral. It was a really nice service, I did the first reading from the book of Lamentations and broke down some more along wtih my mom who said "I just miss him so much." and we held eachother for awhile after the service. During Communion Isabella was bawling and my mom hugged her. Isabella was crying so hard you could hear her in the whole church. Her face was beet red and she was just a huge mess. I felt so horrible for her. I tried my best to stay strong. I spoke at the burial site along with my cousin and 2 of my aunts. We all spoke about different aspects of my grandpa which was nice. then we kissed the casket and said good-bye. After that we went to the church and had a reception with all the old friends and people from the old neighborhood.

Saturday, my cousin's daughter Mya (she's 5) had a basketball game so Mark and I took the kids to the game and then we went over to my cousin's house so the kids could play. My other cousin brought his kids over as well and they all had a great time together!!

I got my grandma's guitar that hung in my grandpa's room along with a belt buckle of a bull's head that I'm going to have drawn into a tat to put on my back in memory of my grandpa. I can hardly believe how much I miss him.

No comments: